About Department

History

       The Department of Microbiology was established in 1948, the same year as the Faculty of Public Health. At first, its office was located at the Pathology Building, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital. In 1950, the department was moved to the Pathology Building, Chulalongkorn Hospital, and at that time it was named the Microbiology Section (changed to Department of Microbiology in 1969). After that, it was moved to the First Building, 3rd floor, Faculty of Public Health. In 1956, Professor Charas Yamarat, M.D., served as the head of the Microbiology Section. Two years later, an outbreak of dengue fever occurred in Thailand. Professor Charas requested Mr. Lay Master, a viral specialist at Medical Public Health Office, USOM to contact Dr. William Mc.D. Hammon, an epidemiologist at School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, to investigate this disease in May 1958, and the Faculty of Public Health was represented as a headquarter of dengue fever research until 1974. Meanwhile, Professor Dr. Scott B. Halstead travelled from Water Reed Army Institute of the U.S.A. to search the place for viral research. The Microbiology Section, Faculty of Public Health was then selected for this viral research, which established the first international cooperation.


       In 1964, Professor Charas Yamarat (M.D.) was appointed as Dean of the Faculty of Public Health. While Professor Charas was the head of the Department of Microbiology, he established collaborations from international agencies. During that period, the Microbiology Section was received financial support from The Rockefeller Foundation to construct the virus building including laboratory facilities for research. In addition, the Department signed a contract with the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO) to promote viral research during 1962 and 1972. In that period, most of the research in the Department of Microbiology with SEATO cooperation was in the area of viruses except leptospirosis. Particularly, our department research activities focused on DENV, a causative agent of dengue diseases. The finding from our study has significantly contributed to the area of dengue vaccine development where it has been tested for the vaccine efficacy by the physicians in the Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital. The JEV was also studied in our department and the knowledge gained from our study has impacted the current JEV vaccine used. In 1985, Associate Professor Kanda Vathanophas (M.D.) became a Department Head and she revised the department teaching program to serve with Public Health Program Development and the Department expanded research collaborations in a wide variety of areas.

Vision & Philosophy

Vision : To be the leader and internationally recognized for excellence in microbiology and infectious diseases in public health


Philosophy: The study of microbiology and infectious diseases for health development and quality of life of mankind

Our Head of Deparment

Since 1956 - present 

Charas Yamarat

Professor, M.D.

1956 - 1969

Pairatana Gunakasem

Professor, M.D.

1969 - 1982

Kanda Vathanophas

Associate Professor, M.D.

1982 - 1997

Orasa Suthienkul

Emeritus Professor, Ph.D.

1997 - 2001

Charnchudhi Chanyasanha

Associate Professor, DVM, Ph.D.

2001 - 2005

Kanokrat Siripanichgon

Associate Professor, M.D., MPH

2005 - 2007

Chakrit Hirunpetcharat

Associate Professor, Ph.D.

2007 - 2014

Leera kittigul

Professor, Ph.D.

2014 - 2017

Fuangfa Utrarachkij

Associate Professor, Ph.D.

2017 - present